Elective Catalog and Course Information
The Texas A&M College of Medicine fourth-year electives have been developed to accommodate the diverse educational needs of our students. The electives provide students the opportunity to further develop their medical knowledge, skills and attitudes.
In addition to the electives that have been developed by the departments, students may develop student initiated electives. Student initiated electives allow students in good standing great latitude in designing unique elective experiences.
The elective program for each student will be the responsibility of the student, the student's adviser and the senior associate dean for student affairs. The choice of elective rotations should be guided by the student's career goal and the rotations suggested for that career goal.
Most of the College of Medicine electives and student initiated electives are also available to fourth-year students from other medical colleges accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association.
Note: Some electives at affiliated institutions, which are arranged through the Office of the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs, are available only to Texas A&M College of Medicine students as indicated in the prerequisite section of the elective description. Outside students wishing to take these electives should contact the elective administrator directly.
The Office of Student Affairs coordinates scheduling of the Phase IV/4th Year Curriculum for all College of Medicine students. The Office of Academic Affairs coordinates academic oversight and evaluation of all Phase IV/4th Year curriculum components.
Information for Students
Student Evaluation Forms
- Clinical Evaluation Form
- Non-Clinical Evaluation Form:This form is only distributed through One45. For questions, email James Dubuisson
*Note: Be sure to check the website for updated information. All forms with * should be submitted to Student Affairs.
There are 25 available elective weeks in years 2 and 3
- 4 weeks each after Surgery, IMED, USMLE = 12 weeks
- 13 weeks during Career Exploration (Not counting Spring Break)
- Electives taken before the completion of clerkships can be retaken as an M4
Students must take at least 21 weeks of electives in years 2 and 3
- Up to 4 of the 25 available weeks may be taken as vacation.
- At least 12 of these 21 weeks must be in courses with clinical contact.
- The required radiology rotation does not count towards the clinical total
There are 36 weeks of curriculum in year 4.
- 14 weeks requireds – ER, AI, ICU, Capstone
- 12 weeks selectives
- 10 weeks other electives
All students must complete 36 weeks of fourth-year electives to graduate
- 4 weeks of elective courses or the ER rotation taken in years 2 and 3 may count towards the 36 weeks of required curriculum in Year 4.
- If the 4 week required ER rotation is taken in year 3, it will count for the 4 weeks of required ER in year 4. They will not have 4 extra weeks of vacation and cannot count another 4 weeks of electives towards their 4th year total
- The required ICU and AI must be taken as a 4 year and cannot count for this requirement if taken in years 2 and 3
- No more than 16 weeks of courses may be taken during year 4 in one’s chosen main specialty.
- Courses taken in years 2 and 3 will not count towards 12 weeks of required selectives, nor will they count against the 16 weeks maximum in specialty.
At least 10 weeks of one’s final semester of year 4 must be taken in classes that have clinical contact. (Capstone is not considered as part of these 10 weeks.)
- EMED 802-00H Emergency Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- MFCM 814-00H Inpatient Family Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- MFCM 815-00H Ambulatory Family Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 835-00H Infectious Disease (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 836-00H Benign Hematology (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 838-00H Inpatient Consult General Internal Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 839-00H Clinical Cardiology (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 840-00H Clinical Endocrinology (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 841-00H Clinical Dermatology (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 842-00H Immunology Research: Mechanisms of Inflammation (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 845-00H Gastroenterology (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 846-00H Nephrology Consult (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 847-00H Pulmonary (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 848-AIH Acting Internship/Hospitalist General Internal Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 850-00H Ambulatory General Internal Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 911-00H Geriatrics (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 912-00H Hematology: Inpatient Leukemia/Lymphoma Service (Affiliate Elective)
- IMED 916-00H Medical Intensive Care Unit (Affiliate Elective)
- MRAD 805-00H General Radiology (Affiliate Elective)
- EMED 801-00C Emergency Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- MFCM 811-CCU Intensive Care Unit (Affiliate Elective)
- MFCM 812-00C Intensive Care Unit (Affiliate Elective)
- MFCM 813-AIC Family Medicine Acting Internship (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 804-00C Pediatric Cardiology (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 806-CCC Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 807-00C Infectious Disease (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 808-00C Cardiovascular Surgery (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 810-00C Pediatric Emergency Medicine (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 811-AIC General Inpatient Pediatrics (Affiliate Elective)
- MPED 812-00C Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes (Affiliate Elective)