Shannon S. Glaser, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Medical Sciences, 2006, Texas A&M Health Science Center
- MS, Biochemistry, 1994, Texas A&M University
- BS, Biochemistry, 1991, Texas A&M University
- VA Merit GrantRole of Mechanosensitive Receptors During Biliary Proliferation and Fibrosis
- NIH/NIDDK R01 DK062975Regulation of Bile Duct Growth in Bile Duct Ligated Rats
- NIH/NIDDK R01 DK76898Role of Sensory Neuropeptides in the Regulation of Biliary Function
- NIH/NIDDKR01DK054811Growth Regulation of the Intrahepatic Biliary Tree
The long-term goal of my research program is to understand how activated (proliferating) cholangiocytes participate in the progression of cholestatic liver diseases and eventual development of cholangiocarcinoma.
My research is focused on elucidating the factors (such as, mechanical stress) and intracellular signaling mechanisms that regulate cholangiocyte proliferation and biliary fibrosis during extrahepatic cholestasis.
Selected Peer Review Publications
- S Glaser, F Meng, Y Han, P Onori, BK Chow, H Francis, J Venter, K McDaniel, M Marzioni, P Invernizzi, Y Ueno, JM Lai, L Huang, H Standeford, D Alvaro, E Gaudio, A Franchitto, G Alpini. Secretin stimulates biliary cell proliferation by regulating expression of microRNA 125b and microRNA let7a in mice. Gastroenterology. 2014 Jun;146(7):1795-808. PMID: 24583060
- AK Martinez and S Glaser. Cholanigocyte lipoapoptosis: implications for biliary damage during NAFLD. Hepatology. 2014 Jul 28. doi: 10.1002/hep.27341. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25065906
- Y Han, P Onori, F Meng, S DeMorrow, J Venter, H Francis, A Franchitto, D Ray, L Kennedy, JF Greene, A Renzi, R Mancinelli, E Gaudio, S Glaser*, Alpini G. Prolonged exposure of cholestatic rats to complete dark inhibits biliary hyperplasia and liver fibrosis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014 Sep 11. pii: ajpgi.00288.2014. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25214401 Shared last authorship.
- K Jensen, S Afroze, Y Ueno, K Rahal, A Frenzel, M Sterling, M Guerrier, D Nizamutdinov, D Dostal, F Meng, S Glaser. Chronic nicotine exposure stimulates biliary growth and fibrosis in normal rats. Digestive and Liver Disease 2013 Apr 12. PMID: 23587498
- F Meng, S Glaser*, H Francis, S Demorrow, Y Han, JD Passarini, A Stokes, JP Cleary, X Liu, J Venter, P Kumar, S Priester, L Hubble, D Stoloch, J Sharma, CG Liu, and G Alpini. Functional Analysis of microRNAs in Human Hepatocellular Cancer Stem Cells. J Cell Mol Med. 16(1):160-173, 2012. PMID: 21352471 PMC3116063 *Shared first authorship.
- K Jensen, M Marzioni, MK Munshi, S Afroze, G Alpini, S Glaser. Autocrine Regulation of Biliary Pathology by Activated Cholangiocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 302(5):G473-83, 2012. PMID: 22194419 PMC3774492
- K Jensen, D Nizamutdinov, M Guerrier, S Afroze, D Dostal, S Glaser. General mechanisms of nicotine-induced fibrogenesis. FASEB J. 26(12):4778-87, 2012 PMID: 22906950 PMC3509054
- T Miller, F Yang, C Wise, F Meng, S Priester, M Munshi, M Guerrier, D Dostal, S Glaser. Simvastatin Stimulates Apoptosis in Cholangiocarcinoma by Inhibition of Rac1 Activity. Dig Liver Dis. 43(5):395-403, 2011. PMID: 21334995 PMC3071437