Carolyn L. Cannon, PhD
Education and Post-Graduate Training
1982-BS (cum laude), Bioengineering, Texas A&M University, College Station.
1985-MS, Electrical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts
1993-MD, University of Texas Medical School, Houston
1993-PhD, University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Physiology and Cell Biology, Houston
1993-1994 Intern in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital, Boston
1994-1996 Resident in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital, Boston
1996-1999 Fellow in Pulmonary, Children's Hospital, Boston
1998-1999 Research Fellow, Channing Laboratory, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston
Academic Positions & Employment
University and Hospital Appointment
Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
1999-2003 Attending physician, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Children’s Hospital, Boston
1999-2003 Director, Nasal Potential Difference Testing Laboratory, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Children's Hospital, Boston
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine
2003-pres Attending physician, Division of Allergy and Pulmonary Medicine, St. Louis Children’s Hospital
2003-2006 Associate Director, Cystic Fibrosis Center, St. Louis Children’s Hospital
2005-2009 Associate Director, Pediatric Pulmonary Fellowship program, St. Louis Children’s Hospital
2006-2009 Co-Director, Cystic Fibrosis Center, St. Louis Children’s Hospital
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
2009-pres Attending physician, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Children’s Medical Center, Dallas
2009-pres Associate Director, Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Center, Children’s Medical Center Dallas
2010-pres Associate Director, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Children’s Medical Center, Dallas
2010-pres Director, Pediatric Pulmonary Fellowship program, Children’s Medical Center, Dallas
2011-pres Director, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics Development Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center
2011-2013 Director, Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center
2011-2012 Interim Chair, Division of Respiratory Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center
University and Hospital Committees
Harvard Medical School & Harvard University
1996 Member. Committee to develop Clinical Practice Guidelines for the care of patients with CF
1998-2002 Member. Harvard Lowell House premedical advising committee, Harvard University
Washington University School of Medicine
2007-2009 Member. Women’s & Children’s Health Subcommittee
2008-2009 Member. Animal Studies Committee
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
2010-pres Member. Process improvement committee aimed at eliminating CPA events on the pulmonary unit at CMCD.
2010-pres Member. Children’s Clinical Research Advisory Committee. Participate in study section to review grants submitted to CCRAC for possible funding.
2010-pres Member. Core Interview Committee. Interviewed candidates for the Pediatric Residency Program at UTSW and participated in group discussions regarding the candidates.
2011-pres Member. Bronchiolitis Task Force. Process improvement aimed at the development of practice guidelines for the treatment of infants with bronchiolitis to improve care and reduce costs.
Extramural Committees 2005-2008 Member. Protocol Review Committee, Therapeutics Development Network (TDN), Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Participate in the review of protocols submitted to the TDN for consideration
of study by the network.
2005-2009 Member. Cystic Fibrosis Standing Committee, Missouri Genetic Advisory Committee, Department of Health and Senior Services, responsible for advising the Missouri State Public Health Laboratory regarding newborn screening for cystic fibrosis that commenced July 1, 2005 largely as a result as my efforts, which included a trip to the state capital to lobby legislators for funding.
2008-pres Member. Assembly for Pediatrics Program Committee, American Thoracic Society. Participate in program development for the annual ATS meeting.
2009-pres Member. Texas Newborn Screening Program Cystic Fibrosis Stakeholder, Texas Department of State Health Services. Traveled to Austin to meet with Department of State Health Services Newborn Screening Unit members to optimize delivery of CF newborn screening to the state of Texas. Invited to the first annual Cystic Fibrosis Consultants Meeting.
2011-present Member. Protocol Review Committee, Therapeutics Development Network (TDN), Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Honors & Awards
1993 Outstanding Student in Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical School
1993 Walter S. Sterling Award for academic excellence (valedictorian), University of Texas Medical School
1997 Second Year Clinical Fellowship, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1998 Third Year Clinical Fellowship, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1999 Fourth Year Clinical Fellowship, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
2000 K08 Award, National Institutes of Health
2007 Inclusion in “Guide to America’s Top Pediatricians”
2009 Inclusion in “Best Doctors in America” and “Best Doctors in St. Louis”
2010 NorTech Innovation Award to Nebusil, Inc. CEO Wiley Youngs, PhD
(I serve as Chief Scientific Officer)
2011 Inclusion in Who’s Who is Medicine and Healthcare
2009-2013 Inclusion in “Best Doctors in America”
1998-2002 Lecturer. Weekly seminar series for undergraduate premedical students at Harvard Lowell House, “Lowell Medical Circle”
1997-2002 Preceptor. Undergraduate premedical students shadowing in my outpatient clinic
2004 Co-wrote newspaper article introducing CF newborn screening to the general public here in Missouri. Title: Newborn Screening Could Offer Hope to CF Patients. Dr. Thomas Ferkol and Dr. Carolyn Cannon. St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Missouri), October 18, 2004
2006 Organized the first Pediatric Pulmonary Citywide Conference (PPCC) for St. Louis area pediatric pulmonologists and registered the meeting for CME credits. Meeting dates: January 12, May 4, September 21
- Preston CL, Calenzo MA, Dubinsky WP. Isolation of a chloride channel-enriched membrane fraction from tracheal and renal epithelia. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 1992; 262:C879-C887.
- Dubinsky WP, Preston CL, Calenzo MA, White GJ, Decker ER. Immunolocalization of chloride-transporting membrane vesicles in tracheal epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 1992; 262:C888-C895.
- Dharnidharka VR, Nadeau K, Cannon CL, Harris HW, Rosen S. Ciprofloxacin overdose: acute renal failure with prominent apoptotic changes. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 31:710-712.
- Cannon CL, Basavappa S, Strange K. Intracellular ionic strength regulates the volume sensitivity of a swelling-activated anion channel. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 1998; 275 44:C416-C422.
- Li CH, Breton S, Morrison R, Cannon CL, Emma F, Sanchez-Olea R, Bear C, Strange K. Recombinant pICln forms highly cation-selective channels when reconstituted into artificial and biological membranes. J Gen Physiol 1998; 112: 727-736. PMCID: PMC2229450
- Cullen AR, Cannon CL, Mark EJ, Colin AA. Mycobacterium abscessus infection in cystic fibrosis - colonization or infection? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:641-645.
- Lyczak JB, Cannon CL, Pier GB. Establishment of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection: Lessons from a versatile opportunist. Microbes Infect 2000; 2:1051-1060.
- Schroeder TH, Lee MM, Yacono PW, Cannon CL, Gerçeker AA, Golan DE, Pier GB. CFTR is a pattern recognition molecule that activates innate immunity by removing bacterial LPS from the outer membrane. PNAS 2002; 99:6907-6912. PMCID: PMC124502
- Lyczak JB, Cannon CL, Pier GB. Lung infections in cystic fibrosis. Clin Microbiol Rev 2002; 15:194-222. PMCID: PMC118069
- Coleman FT, Mueschenborn S, Meluleni G, Ray C, Carey VJ, Vargas SO, Cannon CL, Ausubel FM, Pier GB. Hypersusceptibility of cystic fibrosis mice to chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa oropharyngeal colonization and lung infection. PNAS 2003; 100:1949-1954. PMCID: PMC149939
- Cannon CL, Kowalski MP, Stopak KS, Pier GB. Pseudomonas aeruginosa-induced apoptosis is defective in respiratory epithelial cells expressing mutant CFTR. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2003; 29:188-197.
- Kascatan-Nebioglu A, Melaiye A, Durmus S, Milsted A, Ely D, Tessier CA, Hogue LA, Mallett RJ, Hovis CE, Coughenour M, Crosby SD, Youngs WJ*, Cannon CL*. Synthesis of a mixed N- heterocyclic carbene- carboxylate complex of silver(I) from caffeine and its antimicrobial activity. J Med Chem 2006; 49:6811-6818.
- Kascatan-Nebioglu A, Panzner MJ, Tessier CA, Cannon CL, Youngs WJ. N-Heterocyclic carbene-silver complexes: A new class of antibiotics. Coordination Chem Rev 2007; 251:884-895.
- Elizur A, Orscheln RC, Ferkol TW, Atkinson JJ, Dunne WM, Buller RS, Armstrong JR, Mardis ER, Storch GA, Cannon CL. Panton-Valentine Leukocidin-positive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in cystic fibrosis. Chest; 2007; 131:1718-1725.
- Elizur A, Orscheln RC, Ferkol TW, Dunne WM, Storch GA, Cannon CL. Transmission of Panton-Valentine Leukocidin-Positive Staphylococcus aureus between Patients with Cystic Fibrosis. J Pediatr. 2007; 151:90-92.
- Hindi KM, Siciliano TJ, Durmus S, Panzner MJ, Medvetz DA, Reddy DV, Hogue LA, Hovis CE, Hilliard JK, Mallet RJ, Tessier CA, Youngs WJ*, Cannon CL*. Synthesis, Stability, and Antimicrobial Studies of Electronically Tuned Silver Acetate N-Heterocyclic Carbenes. J Med Chem. 2008; 51:1577-1583.
- Levy H, Kalish LA, Cannon CL, García KC, Gerard C, Goldmann D, Pier GB, Weiss ST, Colin AA. Predictors of mucoid Pseudomonas colonization in cystic fibrosis patients. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2008; 43:463-471.
- Robertson CM, Perrone EE, McConnell KW, Dunne WM, Boody B, Brahmbhatt T, Diacovo MJ, Van Rooijen N, Hogue LA, Cannon CL, Buchman TG, Hotchkiss RS, Coopersmith CM. Neutrophil depletion causes a fatal defect in murine pulmonary Staphylococcus aureus clearance. J Surg Res. 2008;150:278-285. PMCID: PMC2605623
- Elizur A, Cannon CL, Ferkol TW. Airway inflammation in cystic fibrosis. Chest 2008; 133:489-95.
- Cannon CL, Ferkol TW. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in cystic fibrosis. Commentaries on Chronic Airways Infection 2008; 2:2-6.
- Gunsten S, Mikols CL, Grayson MH, Schwendener RA, Agapov E, Tidwell RM, Cannon CL, Brody SL, Walter MJ. IL-12 p80-dependent macrophage recruitment primes the host for a protective immune response to a respiratory viral infection. Immunology 2009;126:500-513. PMCID: PMC2673362
- Panzner MJ, Deeraksa A, Smith A, Wright BD, Hindi KM, Kascatan-Nebioglu A, Torres AG, Judy BM, Hovis CE, Hilliard JK, Mallett RJ, Cope E, Estes DM*, Leid JG*, Youngs WJ*, Cannon CL*. Synthesis and in vitro efficacy studies of silver carbene complexes on biosafety level 3 bacteria. Eur J Inorg Chem. 2009; 13:1739-1745. PMCID: PMC2755586
- Hindi KM, Ditto AJ, Panzner MJ, Medvetz DA, Hovis CE, Han DS, Hilliard JK, Taylor JB, Yun YH*, Youngs WJ*, Cannon CL*. The antimicrobial efficacy of sustained release silver carbene complex (SCC10)-loaded LTP nanoparticles: characterization, in vitro and in vivo studies. Biomaterials. 2009; 30:3771-3779. PMCID: PMC2801440
- Beigelman A, Mikols CL, Gunsten S, Cannon CL, Brody SL, Walter MJ. Azithromycin attenuates airway inflammation in a non-infectious mouse model of allergic asthma. Chest. 2009; 36:498-506.
- Cannon CL, Hogue LA, Vajravelu R, Capps GH, Ibricevic A, Hilliard JK, Walter MJ, Kascatan-Nebioglu A, Brody SL, Youngs WJ. Nebulized SCC1, a methylated caffeine-silver complex for treatment of pulmonary infections: in vitro and in vivo toxicity and efficacy studies. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53:3285-3293. PMCID: PMC2715611
- Panzner MJ, Hindi KM, Wright BD, Taylor JB, Han DS, Youngs WJ, Cannon CL. A theobromine derived silver N-heterocyclic carbene: synthesis, characterization, and antimicrobial efficacy studies on cystic fibrosis relevant pathogens. Dalton Transactions. 2009; 35:7308-7313. PMCID: PMC2867067
- Hindi KM, Panzner MJ, Tessier, CA, Cannon CL, Youngs WJ. The medicinal uses of carbene metal complexes. Chem Rev 2009; 109:3859-3884. PMCID: PMC2763352
- Li Y, Hindi K, Watts KM, Taylor JB, Zhang K, Li Z, Hunstad DA, Cannon CL, Youngs WJ, Wooley KL. Shell crosslinked nanoparticles carrying silver antimicrobials as therapeutics. Chem Comm. 2010; 46:121-123. PMCID: PMC2978063
- Taylor JB, Hogue LA, LiPuma JJ, Walter MJ, Brody SL, Cannon CL. Entry of Burkholderia organisms into respiratory epithelium: CFTR, microfilament and microtubule dependence. J Cyst Fibros. 2010; 9:36-43. PMCID: PMC2818354
- Ibricevic A, Brody SL, Youngs WJ, Cannon CL. ATP7B detoxifies silver in ciliated airway epithelial cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2010; Mar 15;243(3):315-322. PMCID: PMC2830313
- Levy H, Cannon CL, Asher D, Cleveland RH, Pier GB, Knowles MR, Colin AA. Lack of correlation between pulmonary disease and cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator dysfunction in cystic fibrosis: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2010 Apr 26;4:117. PMCID: PMC2873450
- Beigelman A, Mikols CL, Gunsten SP, Cannon CL, Brody SL, Walters MJ. Azithromycin attenuates airway inflammation in a mouse model of viral bronchiolitis. Respiratory Research 2010; 11:90. PMCID: PMC2906448
- Galambos C, Levy H, Cannon CL, Vargas SO, Cleveland R, Lindeman R, deMello DE, Wert SE, Whitsett JA, Perez-Atayde AR, Kozakewich H. Pulmonary pathology in thyroid transcription factor-1 deficiency syndrome. AJRCCM. 2010; 182:549-554. PMCID: PMC2937244
- Sebro R, Levy H, Schneck K, Dimmock D, Raby BA, Cannon CL, Broeckel U, Risch NJ. Cystic fibrosis mutations for p.F508del compound heterozygotes predict sweat chloride levels and pancreatic sufficiency. Clinical Genetics. 2012; Dec;82(6):546-551.
- Leid JG, Ditto AJ, Knapp A, Shah PN, Wright BD, Blust R, Christensen L, Clemons CB, Wilber JP, Young GW, Kang AG, Panzner MJ, Cannon CL, Yun YH, Youngs WJ, Seckinger NM, Cope EK. In vitro antimicrobial studies of silver carbene complexes: activity of free and nanoparticle carbene formulations against clinical isolates of pathogenic bacteria. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2012; Jan;67(1):138-148. PMCID: PMC3236053
- Wright BD, Shah PN, McDonald LJ, Shaeffer M, Wagers PO, Panzner MJ, Smolen J, Tagaev J, Tessier CA, Cannon CL*, Youngs WJ*. Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity of Silver Carbene Complexes Derived from 4,5,6,7-Tetrachlorobenzimidazole against Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria. Dalton Transactions. 2012; 41:6500-6506. * shared last authorship
- Ornelas-Megiatto C, Shah PN, Wich PR, Cohen J, Tagaev JA, Smolen JA, Wright BD, Panzner MJ, Youngs WJ, Fréchet JMJ*, Cannon CL*. Aerosolized Antimicrobial Agents Based on Degradable Dextran Nanoparticles Loaded with Silver Carbene Complexes. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2012; Nov;9(11):3012-3022. * shared last authorship
- Miller JK, Neubig R, Clemons CB, Kreider KL, Wilber JP, Young GW, Ditto AJ, Yun YH, Milsted A, Badawy HT, Panzner MJ, Youngs WJ, Cannon CL. Nanoparticle Deposition onto Biofilms. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2013; Jan;41(1):53-67.
- Stine AE, Nassar D, Miller JK, Clemons CB, Wilber JP, Young GW, Yun YH, Cannon CL, Leid JG, Youngs WJ, Milsted A. Modeling the response of a biofilm to silver-based antimicrobial. Math Biosci. 2013; Jul;244(1):29-39.
- Aweda TA, Ikotun O, Mastren T, Cannon CL, Wright BD, Youngs WJ, Cutler C, Guthrie J, Lapi SE. The use of 111Ag as a tool for studying biological distribution of silver-based antimicrobials. Med. Chem. Comm. 2013 Jun 1;4(6):1015-1017.
- Shah PN, Lin LY, Smolen JA, Tagaev JA, Gunsten SP, Han DS, Heo GS, Li Y, Zhang F, Zhang S, Wright BD, Panzner MJ, Youngs WJ, Brody SL, Wooley KL,* Cannon CL.* Synthesis, characterization, and in vivo efficacy of shell crosslinked nanoparticle formulations carrying silver antimicrobials as aerosolized therapeutics. ACS-Nano. 2013 Jun 25;7(6):4977-87. * shared last authorship
- Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon CL, Kahn J. Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization. Pediatrics. 2013 in press.
Original Articles (submitted for review)
- Nassar D, Stine A, Clemons C, Wilber JP, Young G, Yun YH, Ditto A, Deblock M, Panzner M, Youngs WJ, Milsted A, Cannon CL, Leid J. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine. submitted
- Panzner MJ,* Shah PN,† Smolen JA, Wright BD, Kang AG, Youngs WJ,* Cannon CL *. A Multifunctional Silver N-heterocyclic Carbene Therapeutic Bearing Ibuprofen Functionality. J Med Chem. submitted * shared last authorship
Book Chapters, Other Publications
- Whelan JP, Cannon CL. Hypersensitivity. In: Pier GB, Lyczak JB, Wetzler LM, ed. Immunology, Infection, and Immunity: An Introductory Text. ASM Press, Washington, DC 2004; Chapter 25:595-624.
- Cannon CL, Ferkol TW. Emerging pulmonary infections in cystic fibrosis. US Respiratory Disease 2006; Issue II (December).
- Deblock MC, Panzner MJ, Tessier CA, Cannon CL, Youngs WJ. Medicinal applications of metal complexes of N-heterocyclic carbenes. Ed. Silvia Diez-Gonzalez, “N-Heterocyclic Carbenes from Laboratory Curiosities to Efficient Synthetic Tools,” Royal Society of Chemistry Publishing. 2011; RSC Catalysis Series No. 6, 119-133.