Sheila Marcks Dobin, PhD
Education and Post-Graduate Training
Dr. Sheila M. Dobin is an associate professor in the Departments of Molecular & Cellular Medicine and Pediatrics with the Texas A&M University Health Science Center. She is the section chief of the Cytogenetics Laboratory in the Department of Pathology at Scott and White Hospital and division director of Genetics in the Department of Internal Medicine. Dobin earned her Bachelor of Arts with Honors in Plan II from the University of Texas in 1975. She received a PhD in biomedical sciences from the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston in 1981 under the supervision of Dr. Ralph R. Howell. Dobin held a postdoctoral position from 1982-1984 in the Cytogenetics Laboratory with the Departments of Pathology and Clinical Genetics in OB-GYN at the University of Texas Southwestern Health Science Center in Dallas. During her time at UT-Southwestern she also received specialty training in clinical genetics before joining Scott & White Hospital in 1984. She is Board Certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics as a PhD in medical genetics and clinical cytogeneticist. She became a joint faculty member in the Department of Molecular & Cellular Medicine in 1991.
Our studies focus on the use of family history and its integration into the electronic medical record to improve patient outcomes and physician screening for referral to genetics or genetic testing. Interests also include chromosomal abnormalities in leukemias, lymphomas and solid tumors. These studies include the use of Florescent in situ hybridization and spectral karyotyping techniques.
- Horton, E.S., Malone, V.S., Dobin, S.M., and Donner LR. (2009) Translocation (10;14)(q24;q32) as the sole chromosomal abnormality in a metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 190(1):43-45.
- Horton, E., Dobin, S., Donner, L. (2007) Leiomyoma of the urinary bladder: a cytogenetic study of a case. Cancer Genetic and Cytogenetics 177:147-148.
- Horton, E. Dobin, S., Donner, L. (2007) A clonal t(8;12)(p11.2;q24.3) as a sole abnormality in a solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics 172 :77-79.
- Truss, L., Dobin, S., Donner, L. (2006) Deletion (21)(q21.2q22.12) as a sole clonal cytogenetic abnormality in a lobular capillary hemangioma of the nasal cavity. Cancer genetics and cytogenetics 170: 69-70.
- Horton, E., Dobin, S., Debiec-Rychter, M., and Donner, L. (2006) A clonal translocation (7;8)(p13;q11.2) in a leiomyoma of the vulva. Cancer genetics and Cytogenetics 170:58-60.
- Donner, L., Marcussen, S., and Dobin, S. (2005) A clonal dic(16;21)(p13.1;p11.2)del (16)(q11.1), with gains of several chromosomes and monosomy 21, in a case of splenic hamartoma:evidence for its neoplasti, not hamartomatous, origin Cancer Genet and Cytogent 157:160-163.
- Gopal S, Marcussen S, Dobin SM, Koss W, Donner LR, (2005) Primary myeloid sarcoma of the testicle with t(15;17), Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 157(2):148-150.
- Hussein, MA, Gundacker, H, Head DR, Elias, L, Foon, KA, Boldt DH, Dobin, SM, Dakhil SR, Budd, GT, and Appelbaum FR. (2005) Cyclophosphamide followed by fludarabine for untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a phase II SWOG trial 9706.,Lekemia 19(11):1880-1886.
- Guardiola, T., Horton, E., Lopez-Camarillo, L., Jones, K., Dobin, S.M., and Donner, L. (2004) Cardiac Myxoma: a cytogenetic study of two cases. Cancer Genet and Cytogenet. 148: 145-147.
- Truss, L., Dobin, SM, Rao, A., and Donner, LR. (2004) Overexpression of BCL2 gene in a Sertoli-Leydig cell tumor of the ovary: a pathologic and cytogenetic study. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics 148 :118-122.