COM Research Advisory Committee (COM RAC)
COM RAC Bylaws
MembershipThe voting membership of the RAC shall be comprised of faculty members from the College of Medicine departments involved in research activities, with at most one representative per department. Department chairs, at their discretion, can decide if representation is unnecessary. All voting members shall be elected. Ad hoc, non-voting, members may be appointed by the Dean, as deemed appropriate.The Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies shall be an ex officio, non-voting member.
Terms of OfficeFaculty members shall serve staggered three-year terms. A Chair and Vice Chair shall be elected by the Committee for one-year terms.Terms for new members, the Chair and the Vice Chair shall begin September 1 except under unusual circumstances.
MeetingsMeetings shall be called by the Chair or Vice Chair. Meetings will be by videoconference, and be held at least quarterly.
FunctionsThe Committee will advise the Dean on all matters pertaining to research including:
1) Policy and procedures
2) Program development
3) Resource allocation and budgeting, including IDC policy
4) Review of proposals for requests for internal funding, and external submission-limited funding; and
5) Fostering and review of research awards among the facultyThe Chair shall appoint task-oriented subcommittees as needed to address specific issues and/or ongoing research related functions. Subcommittees may be required to meet more frequently than the parent committee to accomplish their charge. Subcommittees shall report to the full Committee at called meetings or as frequently as needed.
Last Friday of the of each month
Time: 2:30pm - 4:00pm
Locations: MEC-213, VA-1R21, MREB-3010
Member Term Dr. David Dostal 09/14 08/17 IMED/CVRI Dr. Travis Hein 09/13 08/16 SURG-Vice-Chair Dr. Koichi Kobayashi 09/14 08/17 MPIM Dr. Thomas Kuehl 09/15 08/18 OB/GYN Matthew McMillin 09/15 08/16 Post-doc Dr. Xu Peng 09/14 08/17 MPHY Dr. Samba Reddy 09/13 08/16 NeXT-Chair Preeti Sule 09/15 08/16 Post-doc Dr. David Threadgill 09/14 08/17 MCMC Dr. Van Wilson VDRGS Dr. Keith Young 09/15 08/18 PYSCH
Facilities Planning Committee (FPC)
COM FPC Bylaws
MembershipThe FPC committee membership shall consist of the following voting members: a) the Department Chairs from each basic science department of the College of Medicine and from those clinical departments that have significant research activities; and b) at least five senior faculty members apportioned to represent the research facilities of the COM. A Chair shall be elected from the voting membership and this position shall alternate between members from Temple and Bryan/College Station. Research Heads at partner institutions of the COM and the COM Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies shall be ex officio, non-voting members. Staff support shall be provided by the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and the Executive Associate Dean for the Temple Campus.
Terms of OfficeMembers may serve for multiple terms. The Chair will serve for a two-year term.
MeetingsThe Committee shall meet at least monthly with the schedule being posted at the beginning of the academic year. Supplemental meetings may be called by the Chair at the request of the Dean to focus upon specific matters requiring urgency.
FunctionsThe Facilities Planning Committee shall review recommendations relating to research space allocation, core research facility development, space and facility maintenance and resource planning, and shall maximize and support the operation of the COM research enterprise. It shall:
1) Review the Dean’s annual plan for the College Research Enterprise
2) Evaluate the research space allocation policy, render reports to the Dean on the effectiveness of this policy, and suggest changes to improve the policy
3) Review and advise the Dean on matters of space allocation
4) Review and advise the Dean on the maintenance of core research resources
5) Serve as a forum for the arbitration of faculty disputes relating to research space allocation and utilization
6) Serve as a forum for planning how new research space will be utilized as the inventory grows on each COM campus
7) Serve as an intermediary for the COM with the Health Science Center on issues of space and facilities planning and management; and
8) Serve as an intermediary with regard to space for the COM faculty on matters of research compliance.The Chair of the Committee may appoint subcommittees for review of specific material. These subcommittees shall report to the Committee. Deliberations of the Committee shall be initiated in response to requests by members and committees of the faculty of the College. All voting shall be by open ballot and a simple majority of members present will be required for an affirmative or negative recommendation. Minutes of the meetings will summarize the deliberations and be forwarded to the Dean.
Third Monday of the month
Time: 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Locations: HPEB LL39, MEC 213
Member Term Dr. Hubert Amrein 09/14 08/17 Chair, 08/15 Dr. Lih Kuo 09/14 08/17 Co-chair 08/15 Dr. William Griffith NeXT, Dept Chair Dr. Geoffrey Kapler MCMD, Dept Chair Dr. Alistair McGregor 09/14 08/17 MPIM/CS Dr. Deepika Reddy 09/14 08/17 NeXT/CS Dr. James Samuel MPIM, Dept Chair Dr. Ashok Shetty 09/14 08/17 IRM/MCMD/T Dr. David Zawieja MPHY, Interim Chair Dr. Van Wilson VDRGS Dr. Paul Hicks Temple Campus Dean